Saturday, May 02, 2015

Animé, Pepé, etc

Part of the experience of observing the 'chan' boards was seeing a lot of anime. I will readily admit I don't understand why there's so much of it about or even what a lot of it means, but I have seen many examples that were extremely elaborate and technically amazing. Some captured very subtle colors and ethereal effects that must have taken a lot of time, effort and planning. I had a few requests to draw some myself, but it's beyond my modest abilities. Oh sure, I could copy some of it fairly accurately, but it would only be just that--something copied and derivative.

I've also learned a great deal about memes and I have a chapter on memes in my book. One featured is the 'Sad Frog' which perhaps has the largest variety of variation. It remains very popular and it shows no sign of having run its course.

I received a few requests to draw the frog, so I drew him as a self portrait!



Seriously...I don't walk around with a loaded shotgun like many of the trolls would have people believe...even though I assure you I DO have a shotgun and it IS loaded...but I keep it in a safe place. --Ben Garrison


No comments: